Alyssa Hatfield MSW, LSW
Hi, my name is Alyssa and I am a therapist at Lucas Counseling Group. I became a therapist because I have a love and passion for helping others and be a part of the lives of my clients. I love seeing them grow and conquer their fears and obstacles. I enjoy helping them stay focused, persevere when challenges arise and help them to grow from every situation, even if their experience was negative.
Super Serious Questions
What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know about you?
- In high school, I was in Madrigals and Show Choir. I sang first soprano, and being involved in this helped me get through high school. I loved every minute of it!
What do you look for in a best friend?
- Someone that makes me feel like I can be myself and won’t judge. Also, someone with a good sense of humor, loyal, and there for me when I need them the most.
What completely safe animal are you inexplicably afraid of?
- I have no idea. I love animals. Lol
- I am afraid of insects, like wasps and hornets (wait, are wasps and hornets the same thing?) But I should be afraid of them, because they can sting me, right?
What dance move are you secretly awesome at?
- Twerking…(Wait, just kidding). Lol.
What is your favorite comedy movie?
- Any Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey movie.
- Specific movies that come to mind: Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Dickie Roberts, Tommy Boy, Uncle Buck, Liar Liar…and many more I am sure. I can’t pick a favorite! Not going to happen.
If you had a boat, what would you name it?
- Alessia (Does this make me a little vain for picking a name that is similar to mine?)
What interesting skill do you want to learn?
- I want to learn how to play the keyboard. I love music and would love to spend more time engaging in any music-related activities.
If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
- Caution!!! Don’t place near cats and need coffee to focus!!!!!!!
What’s one superpower you would NOT want?
- This one was hard for me, but I am thinking that if there was a superpower that I would NOT want, it would be knowing everything that is going to happen. It would be extremely hard to live in the moment if I had this superpower because I already know what’s coming next.
What makes you laugh the most?
- I can’t say, because it’s inappropriate! But I will say in general, I make myself laugh at random things I have done in the past.
What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play?
- Honestly, I don’t really get into sports much (sorry all sports lovers!), but if I had to pick one to watch, I would say baseball.
- To play, I am not really sure! Does badminton count?
Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why?
- Hmmm, I would like both so I could work at the perfect job and use the money to help my family and others. I would say perfect job though, because if you have the perfect job, then it would not feel like work at all.
Is your glass half-full or half-empty?
- Definitely half-full for sure, to the point that my optimism may be annoying to some.
On a scale of 1-10, how funny would you say you are?
- I’m freakin hilarious, so funny that I crack myself up all the time. I’ll be modest and say a 15, no 18!
What is your definition of success?
- Being able to set my mind to something and stay focused, persevere when challenges arise, and always being able to take something from a situation, even if the situation or experience was negative.
Which of your personality traits are you most proud of?
- empathy and kindness
Do you believe in second chances?
Heck yes, I do!!!
What would be the title of your memoir?
- Conquering Covid-19 and Fear of Blood Draws!
What is one of your biggest professional goals?
- Continuing to develop my skills so I can be the best therapist and have the tools to be able to help as many people as I can with a variety of issues.
What motivates you to work hard?
- My boss, co-workers, and clients. I don’t want to let them down or my clients.
What is your favorite thing about your career?
- I have the opportunity to help others and be a part of the lives of my clients. I love seeing my clients grow and conquer their fears and obstacles.
What’s your favorite thing about your current job?
- That’s a hard one! I would say many things, but I would say getting to work with my clients and also work with a great group of people.
What’s the best career decision you’ve ever made?
- Switching my major to psychology during my undergraduate career and becoming a therapist instead of becoming a registered nurse. I have so much respect for nurses and first responders, but it was not the best fit for me. =)
How do you motivate yourself in your career?
- I reflect back on where I came from and the journey that I took to get from where I was to where I am now.
How do you pick yourself back up after making a mistake at work?
- I remind myself that my boss Charlie told me that it’s okay to make mistakes, and it’s not a mistake if you learn from it. Seriously, he told me this during my first week of working with him!
What song motivates you when you are anxious about doing a presentation or something else that makes you anxious?
- Eye of the Tiger baby! Listening to that song prior to doing a task that made me anxious helped me make it through presentations in grad school!